It’s that time again… time to update the Sew Cheap Summer Challenge List.
WAIT??? What about the 10th project? What about the gathered clutch I had promised to sew??? Sadly, it did not happen. I tried, but time ran out and, if I’m honest, so did my drive. I have the pieces cut out, so maybe I’ll still try to make it. However, for the purposes of this challenge, I’d rather be truthful and tell you it didn’t happen. And you know what? I’m ok with that. I’ve really enjoyed the push of having a public goal like this challenge. And I’ve had a great summer sewing up all sorts of projects for family and friends. I will definitely set a goal like this for myself again; so in my book, the challenge was definitely a success!
Turning back to the point of this post, here is my original list of 10 sewing goals for summer updated to show the changes I’ve made and the projects I’ve completed.
Tiny Curtsy Skirt Completed 6/21
Easy Baby Dress Completed 8/30 (was going to be the Itty Bitty Baby Dress )
- Infant Peasant Dress Completed 6/27
- Summer Stripes Skirt Completed 6/5 ( was going to be the Reversible Wrap Top)
- The Party Dress Completed 6/13
Gobble Gobble Turkey Shirt Completed 8/29
- Gathered Clutch DID NOT COMPLETE
- Felt Fringe Christmas Tree Skirt Completed 7/6 (was going to be the Mooshy Belly Bunny )
- Lamb Pillows
Pillow Cover Completed 8/30
In my July update, my spending total for the summer was $34. With these final four projects complete, my updated total spent for the summer was $65.50. Not bad for a summer’s worth of sewing!
Overall, this has been just the motivation I needed to get going on my ever-expanding list of sewing to-dos! And I would highly recommend others to try this for themselves in the future!!
This one was a long, long time coming. We’ve had our couch two years now and ta da! It finally has pillows! Whew… I am so relieved to get this project finished.
Who: For our family.
What: I originally thought I’d do envelope enclosures, but they didn’t seem finished enough for the fabric I found. After reading through this tutorial, I felt like I was up for trying zippers. I didn’t follow her tutorial completely, but it was the inspiration I needed to get started.
Cost: The fabric is a curtain I bought a long time ago, but didn’t end up hanging up. They cost (if I remember right) about $20 for the one panel. I also bought the zippers from Joann’s for $7 total. The pillow forms I’ve had for years just waiting for this project. (I’m not going to count their cost here, but they were from Ikea and super reasonable.)
P.S. The scripted pillow is a placemat that I filled with stuffing ages ago. I just threw it in here for styling purposes.
Who: This one is for my newest niece. I used the same fabric earlier on the party dress (project #2). I thought the two girl cousins might enjoy being twins. Or at least the four year old might. I’m not sure that the littlest one will be aware or care. 🙂
What: I was originally going to use the Itty Bitty Baby Dress by Made by Rae, but changed my mind. It’s super adorable, but I wanted something with fixed straps. Because of this, I ended up using See Kate Sew’s Easy Baby Dress Pattern. What I liked more about this option was the fixed straps which (bonus!) have elastic in them. That should still make this one easy to get on and off baby.
Although I followed Kate’s tutorial, I did make one significant change. I cut the bodice pieces 1/2 inch longer, so that I could fold them under and sew the skirt bottom between the layers. Basically, I took what I learned while sewing the party dress and applied it here. It was more work, but I like this finish better. I also top-stiched around the bodice (which I don’t think is listed in the tutorial).
Cost: Almost nothing. I had leftover fabric and thread on hand from the earlier dress. All I needed to buy for this project was the elastic. I paid $2.50 for a package at Joann’s.